Saturday, July 7, 2012

The New Camera Search - July 2012

My Canon HV30 has served me well for several years now. I've shot 100s of hours of CPA high school football whereI have been producing the video highlights for the team since 2005.

There are some examples on my Vimeo site: https://vimeo.com/hollyviewvideo
Last year, in 2011, another dad joined in to help volunteer film football. He is a professional and between him and my mentor Clint Regehr of CERVIDEO from Texas, I have learned a great deal on how to improve the quality of my productions.

A few games into the 2011 season I borrowed a friends Sony HDR-FX7 to catch action from the sidelines. The following clip on YouTube features some of that footage. It also features footage from my friends Panasonic HMC40.



If you compare my productions from 2010 - 2011, I think you will notice improvement.

Using that FX7 last year made me realize just how critical a good viewfinder, eyepiece, and 20x lense where. The camera was and HDV tape camera just like my Canon HV30, but the 20x lense was just what I needed to reach out across one sideline to another for some great shots. The Panasonic only had a 12x lense and we all agreed it would be great to have two cameras with long lenses for better coverage.

The last season of my son's high school footbal carreer is coming up fast this fall in 2012. We are planning to produce another footbal DVD this year. This year's video production has to be the best ever.

I don't have access to the FX7 any longer so it high time for a new camera.

To capture the action this season, I really need a good prosumer level camera with at least a 20x lense.

I have always been a Canon fan, but while they came out with several new cameras over the last few years, only the Canon XF 300 has a long lense and its around $6,000.

none of their lower priced cameras came with a 20x lense. The only camera with a 20x lense is the older model, XH-A1s.

In July 2012, I have narrowed down the selection to the following cameras.
Canon XF100 HD
Canon XF 100
Canon XH-A1sThis is an HDV tape camera, but would have everything I need. Its a bit heavy, but I've used one of these before and it produced some great footage.

The only problem with this model is that its a tape camera. I am ready for a complete digial workflow without the capture time over firewire.
Canon XH-A1s






Sony HDR-FX7
This is also an HDV tape camera and I shot most of last year's high school football video using one of these that a friend let me borrow. The footage turned out great.

Sony HDR-FX7
Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM
Now this is one that a friend has and he speaks very highly of it. This is completely digital and uses SD card or a 128 GB flash pack for recording. This model is a few years old, but if I had the budget, this one would have been my first choice for quite some time. However, now that Panasonic has released their new models, it has some competiion in the same price range and feature set. So the selection is more difficult.

To make matters more difficult, the price on the Sony NXCAM has not come down in several years. So that tells me that it must be a good selling model. Guess I was hoping that the price would have come down by now.
Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM
Sony HXR-NX70U NXCAM
This camera is in a class all by itself

Additional write up on one of my other blog posts here: Sony NX70U

Sony HXR-NX70U NXCAM

Panasonic AG-AC160A
/ AC130A AVCCAM

Panasonic has introduced two new cameras that should work great for sports with a 22x lens. The cameras are identical except for some additional features on the 160 over the 130. You'll pay about $1000 more for the 160. But you get features such as 1080 60p and variable frame rate recording.

More info in my Panasonic A160 blog post featureing these two cameras.

Update 7/29 - This is the one I am going to order. I strongly considerd the Sony NX5, NX70, Canon AF100.
Panasonic AG-AC160A / AC130A AVCCAM
The Canon and Sony HDR-FX7 are older model HDV tape cameras and the rest record to digtial media. I have been shooting with a tape camera for several years and really want to switch to totally digital workflow.

The newer and completely digital recording cameras range from $2,000 to $6,000 and up.

One of the newest Sony cameras even has a built in projector

Sony 96GB HXR-NX30 Palm Size NXCAM
Price from BH Photo $2,000




Sony NEX-VG20

Sony PMW-100

These cameras below, while not idea for fast moving football action or "run and gun" allow DSLR style lenses and functionality in a camcorder format.

Sony NEX-FS100

Sony NEX-FS700
Panasonic AF100














No comments:

Post a Comment